Tostadas with Cracker Barrel Cheese Sauce
Think of this recipe like nachos but where each one chip has the perfect ratio of toppings and cheese. No more hunting for the perfect chip. Size up and make every bite perfect.
- 8 pcs tostada or fried tortilla
- 1 cup refried or stewed pinto beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tbsp red onion, small dice
- 1 small avocado, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% or 3.25% milk
- ½ cup habanero Monterey jack
- 1 cup old cheddar
1. Combine cherry tomatoes, avocado, red onion, lime juice and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. When the butter is melted add in flour and whisk to incorporate.
3. Whisking continuously, slowly add the milk to the pan. Make sure all flour is incorporated and not lumpy.
4. Cook mixture until it comes to a simmer and has visibly thickened.
5. Add in cheese and whisk to combine.
6. When cheese is fully melted and sauce looks uniform in colour and texture it is ready.
1. Heat tostadas and beans
2. Spoon beans over tostada. Top with salsa. Drizzle with cheese sauce.